Friday, May 30, 2008

Random blather

When I got up this morning, my eyes were the paaaalest shade of pink. What you would call "Maiden's blush" if you saw it on a paint chip. I stared at myself in the mirror for a long time, then decided to go to work and resolved to wash my hands a lot.

It was more or less the right decision. I'm still pretty tired and not feeling great, but I still managed to get some stuff done and they really needed me since all of the museum staff was in a workshop all morning. One good thing I discovered is that our Uberboss is preparing the budget for the next fiscal year, which will have money for the children's collection in it. Yippee! Soon we may have science books written within the past decade, if you'll allow me to let my dreams get big for a moment.

So did I mention we managed to see Iron Man while we were in Michigan? We really liked it, although it seemed like without Robert Downey Jr's charisma, it would have been a somewhat boring superhero movie with really great computer graphics. The measure of how good the computer graphics were is that I didn't even think about them until after someone else mentioned them later. There was never a moment during the action when I caught something unnatural looking and thought, "Hmm, computery." They were so good that they blended seamlessly with the rest of the action, which is really a huge accomplishment. The best success in cgi is when it goes completely unnoticed.

Fortunately, RD Jr was just delicious, and refreshingly had chemistry with his romantic foil (although I suspect he could have chemistry with a ceramic plate), so it wasn't boring, and good enough that I'm looking forward to the sequel they were so clearly building up to.

7 comments:

  1. I think you've been spending entirely too much time at the home improvement store if you can label the shade of your pink eye.

    Hope you're all feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - here via NCLM. On the other side of the world from you, but also sick!
    Are you interested in children's books? I write about them a bit in my blog...
    I enjoyed Iron Man, but not nearly as much as XMEN. Something missing? And maybe too much product placement for me...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here from NaComLeavMo. Pinkeye's a real beeyotch. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nacomleavemo
    HOpe the eye gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of RD Jr.. After reading your comments, I think I may accompany my hubby to see Iron Man. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know why I haven't visited your blog before since I also work at a library, but yay for new additions to the children's room. We also just got our budget approved for tons more books, so I'm on a roll for requesting books I want.

    And I'm also crushing on RD Jr. When did he get so hot? I guess I've gotta run out and see Iron Man. Yum. :)

    (here from NaComLeavMo)

    ReplyDelete