Friday, February 29, 2008

Tryptich

My mind is absolutely abuzz with craft projects these days - intriguing new things to knit, fantastic ideas for sewing children's dresses out of t-shirts and converting old t-shirts into shopping bags, intriguing new toys to sew and the play kitchen we've been planning for K (which I think we're finally ready to get moving on - we just need to make a trip to Ikea and to Michael's and do a little work clearing out space in the basement for workspace).

By the time I was done with everything I wanted to do, I would probably find that approximately three centuries had gone by, so I need to pick and choose a bit. The play kitchen is a priority, although if it doesn't get done until June, it will be an ideal birthday gift. The dresses are also a priority since they're key to my plan to advance potty training by putting K in skirts with nothing underneath (once she will consent to sit on the toilet again, sigh. It used to be the bees knees, but after one good pee success, she's decided the toilet seat is electrified. I need to find a good bribe). After that, it's a bit of a tossup. I keep telling myself that I shouldn't be thinking about sewing diapers when we're trying to focus on the toilet, but they would be useful for the next (theoretical) baby. I would like to make myself some cloth pads, but it's starting to look like unless things improve soon, I'm not going to be having periods that often (sigh. It's not even worth talking about). Cloth shopping bags would be nice, so that may be next on the list.

So many ideas, so little time.

******

Phrases I don't understand, part one of a series:
"She has a mind of her own."
Well, yes, my daughter is in fact an independent human being with a functioning brain that allows her to have feelings and desires and the ability to express them. You were expecting a robot child who bends herself to your every suggestion, perhaps?

What this statement is meant to express, as far as I can tell, is that the child in question has very definite ideas of what she wants and isn't shy about expressing them. This, of course, described 95 percent of the two-year-olds I know, but for some reason it's more remarkable when it's a girl. Because girls must be meek and pliable, and bend to the wills of the males around them. I guess my daughter isn't a proper girl.

Good.

******

We were watching Daily Show tonight, and Jon Stewart was commenting that it's such a shame that Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama have to be running against each other, and that we have to make such a hard choice. And it occurred to B and me at the same time how absolutely fantastic they would be as president and prime minister, if only we had that type of government - Barack for the personality and inspiration, Hillary for the nitty gritty policy work.

As B put it, "It would cause a Liberal geekgasm!"

No comments:

Post a Comment