Tuesday, November 13, 2012

At the movies

B had the day off today, so we went to see Wreck-it Ralph. I hadn't thought much about it when I saw the previews, although it looked like a fun concept. Then I started to hear good reviews, and now that I've seen it, I really agree - it was a great, well-thought out movie. It had lots of great touches to appeal to people who played arcade games in the 80s and 90s, but also a really good story and great worldbuilding. Some of the action at the end was a bit much for our sensitive kid, but Alec thought it was great. There was certainly nothing as traumatizing as the end of Toy Story 3, which had me sitting there surrounded by sobbing children thinking, "Are you freaking kidding me, Pixar?" (and yet Wreck-it Ralph was a demure PG, while Toy Story 3 got a totally unjustified G rating. I suspect shenanigans with Disney and the ratings board here).

We saw a preview for The Hobbit. That's one I really hope we can see in the theatre. Unlike LOTR, the Hobbit was a book I loved as a kid, so I'm eager to see it in film.

No comments:

Post a Comment