Thursday, June 18, 2009

39 weeks

I had my last weekly ob appointment today. My weight has stayed steady for the past two weeks, which will have me ending this pregnancy 15 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight. My blood pressure is uniformly excellent and doesn't seem inclined to pull the tricks it did last time of giving a high initial reading but going to normal after I lay down for a while.

All is quiet on the uterine front. My cervix is thinned out, but still quite high up and not dilated at all. I haven't had anything remotely like a labor contraction and if anything, I'm having fewer Braxton Hicks contractions than I was ten weeks ago, probably because I'm less active.

With K, I had a healthy enough fear of what life with a newborn would be like that I was perfectly happy to stay pregnant as long as possible. This time around, I'm not sure if it's having four years of parenting experience, the fact that between the extended morning sickness and the serial illnesses that followed it I've basically been sick for nine months, or the current fact that every time I walk, I'm not sure if my legs are going to fall right out of my hips before or after my pelvis breaks in two, but I'm perfectly happy to get this kid out with all due speed.

If I don't go into labor this weekend, this time next week (knock wood) I'll be in the hospital with a one-day-old baby. My goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment