Friday, September 4, 2009

Family sick day

B and I took a sick day on Tuesday. I was getting a cold and he was tired enough to use that as an excuse to take a day off. I didn't think I was that sick, but after I went back to bed and woke up six hours later, it was apparent that the sick day was a darn good idea. I felt a bit guilty for sticking B with the baby so long until I discovered they had napped together for four hours. It's quite possible we were all a smidge tired.

In other health news, I finally made it to the doctor today to get something for the epic case of eczema I've been working on for the past month. I've had eczema on my hands plenty of times in the past - I had a case right before I got pregnant which I was able to beat down with judicious applications of K's prescription eczema cream. But this is the first time it's marched across my palms, climbed up all my fingers and then decided to annex my feet as well. Do you know how irritating it is to have eczema on the bottom of your feet? Since it tends to manifest as fluid-filled blisters, I've been feeling like I'm walking on little water balloons coated in poison ivy. The doctor looked properly appalled at my leprous state and gave me a prescription for a stronger cream. Since I'm coating so much of my hands and feet, I got some gauze pads and tape to cover the medicated areas. All of my hands and feet are now bandaged. I feel rather Christlike.


Alec is turning into 13 pounds of delectable ham. He sits and coos at me to get my attention, then grins and waggles his eyebrows at me. I was holding him on my lap this morning and he leaned forward and discovered his feet, to his great delight. The look of delighted intrigue on his face as he examined his toes was something to behold. Limbs! They're so endlessly fascinating!

He's developed a touch of painful reflux, poor lamb. He had the good timing to do it the weekend before his Monday morning two-month pediatrician visit, so we got him on Zantac with admirable speed. I think we need to up the dose though, since it seems to wear off about 2-3 hours before the next dose is due.


I would post about how K is slowly draining my will to go on, but there are only so many ways you can describe the horrors of a child who seems to suddenly delight in pressing all of your buttons like you're a vending machine and they have an endless supply of quarters. I prefer to focus on the fact that her new preschool program at the local elementary school starts on the 15th. Five days a week and FREE. But when did my baby get big enough to start going to elementary school?

No comments:

Post a Comment